Search This Blog

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Book Review

I have to admit I was not a reader when I was a child...and I realized that partly, that's the reason why I didn't grow up to be a good writer.  So I promised myself that I will do my best to bring up my children as voracious readers.  And I'm happy that Bianca and Raphael both turned out to be readers, and good writers too!  I should give credit  to our family's two simple rules that molded them to be book lovers.

 
1 of 2 book shelves in Bianca's room

(1)  One-TV policy.  Yup!  Even at this time and age where practically most children have their own TV in their bedrooms, my children grew up not owning a TV.  We had to watch TV together or take turns.  So when there's no TV, they always turn to books!  Now that they are used to having books over TV, I am more lenient, and we now have 3 TVs in the house, but still not in their own rooms.            

Rapha's bedside book shelf

(2) Books are necessity, toys are luxury! They can ask me to buy books for them, but they have to wait for birthdays and Xmas or for family and friends to gift them with toys. And it worked pretty well. They now keep their own little libraries and we continue to build our collection with books from all genre.
Rapha's bookshelf in his room

Here are some book shelves I found very unique and interesting!  I wish you will have the time to enjoy a good book this weekend!  I'm starting Word Snoop by Ursula Dubosarsky ( a recommendation by Bianca and Rapha!).  Gone are the days when I read the books first to see if it's a good fit for them, now it's my kids who read first and then they'll tell me if I will enjoy it.  Maybe it's never too late to improve on my writing and Word Snoop should do the trick!  Happy reading! 

Photos via 1 & 3 designsdelight 2 stylehivedyscario 5 anyways.us

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and try to respond to each and every comment I get. Thank you for taking the time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails