Search This Blog

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Muffins, Anyone?

I got the family's approval on my very first try to bake banana oat muffins!  Yay!  I'm not really a baker because I don't like following recipes and making accurate measurements.  I cook by tasting.  So if I'm asked for a recipe, I can only give the ingredients, minus the measurements.  That's just how I am with cooking.  But yesterday, I didn't have the heart to throw 3 pcs of Cavendish bananas just because they are over ripe.  So I looked through my cook books (I do keep some, mainly for ideas and photos!  haha!)  and found Gordon Ramsay's Banana Oat Muffins.  It looked easy, so I tried...  and this is how it turned out.


I like the texture, it's chunky and chewy and a bit crusty on top but moist inside.  And I think it's healthier than the usual muffins.  I replaced walnuts with muesli, which gave it more fiber.  I used olive oil, instead of butter and the recipe calls for only one egg and brown sugar; I used raw brown sugar.  So it was not sweet, it was just right, paired with a cup of coffee or tea!  :)

Here is a copy of the recipe.  You should try it.  If I'm able to make it, it must be one of the easiest muffin recipes and anyone can do it!

Banana oat muffins  Heat oven to 180C.  Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.  In a large bowl, combine 100g oats, 200g plain flour, 1.5 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda, 1/4 tsp sea salt and 100g light brown sugar.  Mix well and make a well in the center.  Mash 4 large ripe bananas (I only put 3, becase that's all I have) in another bowl, with a fork.  Stir in 1 beaten large egg and 60g melted butter (or light olive oil).  I used olive oil!  Add to the dry mixture with 75g chopped walnuts (I don't have walnuts so I replaced it with muesli!  Which turned out ok, more chewy!) and fold through until just combined (don't overmix).  Spoon ( I used an ice cream scooper which made it  really easy!) into the paper cases and bake for 20-25 minutes (I'm really stubborn, I was so excited, I baked it for 15 mins only and kept it inside the oven for another 5 mins) until brown and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Makes 12.  I made 13!  :)


I would love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and try to respond to each and every comment I get. Thank you for taking the time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails