Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Depression Glass

This is my current favorite!  Depression Era glass.  If you are not familiar with it, these are glasses that were made during the Depression Era (1920s-1940s) in the US.  It is pressed glass and some are heavily patterned and embossed.  I have been on the lookout for these pretty  glasses and finally got one the other day. 
 Together with my dear friend, Doris, we went to an antique store in Marikina Shoe Expo (Cubao) and found this rare color depression glass and small plate.  I love the diamond and floral pattern on the glass; and the scroll and scallops on the plate.  (I did a little research on this pattern, but I cannot find this distinct pattern, all the more I'm convinced this is rare! :-)) Wish I can collect a set, but the store only got one glass and two plates.  I've seen a lot of these kind of glasses in amber, clear and pink, with bubble pattern.  But never in blue, so when I saw it, I just can't resist!  Simple joy!  And you know what made it even more special?  Take a closer look on the glass and you will see the initials CFA etched on it.  Only shows that the original owner seriously takes care of her ware.  Never saw a glass that is personally etched with initials.  I only know of silverware with the owner's name etched on it, like my auntie's.
Since I only  have one piece, and I want to see it all the time, I thought of using it as a vase which I placed on my study table.  (The Plumeria flowers and Iris leaves are from our garden.)  Pretty right?  One thing off my wish list!  But I wouldn't mind to have a cake tray! (You know how much I love them!)  How about you?  What have you been wanting to collect?

I would love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and try to respond to each and every comment I get. Thank you for taking the time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails